Thursday, July 24, 2014

Raised by Wolves:


Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. Recommendation: You could read this, or you could not. 


The Prose:

"Callum never used four words where one would do." (Bryn says descriptively of her legal guardian Callum as he scolds her into a confessing to her nights past misdeeds.)

One word then. Amateur. 

The writing style was in no way shape or form fluid. Pity. Because the concept of a girl raised from near birth in the woods by wolves was, needless to say, enough to pique my interest. It was a struggle honestly, I had to drudge through the monstrous writing style, like one drudges through swamp mud. Sometimes this feat was done without grace, and oftentimes with the use of far more curse words than I am comfortable admitting I know. But I stuck with it, solely for the plot and the strong heroine figure Barnes gave me. Four words to adequately describe this book's prose: "In Need of Revision." As the novel progressed and the story unwound itself I found myself adapting to the writing style and soon, dare say it, I fit with it like a old pair of faded Levi's. 


The Girl With Too Many Names: Bronwyn Alessia St. Vincent Clare:

"'A kid from school offered me a ride on his motorcycle...I took it.'" (Bryn replies to Callum when he asks her about a stolen motorcycle report.)

Having come from a story where the main character had the backbone of slug and the self-esteem of a submissive introvert the dominating confidence ruffling off of Bryn was welcomed with open arms and stifled giggles at times. 


The Intrigue:

"My entire body was shaking, and no matter what I said the ghosts dancing in the corners of my mind whispered that everyone did die." (Bryn says as Ali, her makeshift mother goes into a labor that very well could kill her.)

It is a slow going read, in which the author fully manages to impressively set up the world Bryn lives in. In fact, it was quite like the Twilight series, only without vampires and with a heroine who is able to defend herself from the onslaught of a supernatural's prowess. 


Bottom Line:

The ending was bogus. So much so that I don't think I will even bother with the next two books in the series. I mean honestly you can't come back from that horrific ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Jane Run:

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Recommendation: Eh, it wouldn't kill you to read this.  The Intrigue: So listen, let's say you weren&...