Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday Morning Mailbox: II



Received from: Library, Dollar Bookstore in the mall, Dollar Tree.
Price Paid: 10 Dollars and 50 cents
Book Format: 4 Hardcover, 2 paperback.



Because of Romek by David Faber:
When walking through the mall with my mom we noticed a man who stood in front of a five-by-five square folding card table with books laying on it. He stood outside a bookstore and smiled at me, he asked me if I had ever heard of the Holocaust. I just about nearly flinched.
 I said "I would never forget."
He smiled and told my mother and I that he was a Holocaust survivor, he said this book was his story and I bought it, not because he had showed me his tattooed number on his left arm, but because I wanted it. No ones story should be discarded, or forgotten. Seconds later he asked who to make it out to and my mom said George. George is my uncle, his birthday was coming up and she thought, because he liked history  it would be a good present. David Faber's hands shook as he wrote out the letters, I nearly cried. When we got home my dad said that only I would want a book as a birthday present, and as it turned out, George hadn't wanted it, my dad bought him a tool from Home Depot. I kept the book, secretly jumping for joy.

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell:

I do so love vintage withered books. So you could imagine my joy when I saw this lovely sitting on the classic's shelf of the Library Sale section. Only a dollar! I loved the movie, have watched almost every summer for the past like ten years. It is so witty, and romantic, so wondrously bold at times and it just makes you want to sigh tilt your head and rest it on you up-turned palm.
Please Don't Eat The Daises, by Jean Kerr:
Oh dear lemon drops! This book is amazingly fantastic, and I have only read the first page. So witty, and blunt, so unforgivingly brash. I do love the sixties and if you throw into the mix, a modern enlightened women, well there is just no telling what I will do!
The book is written so freshly stark with humor in every word, the details are so vivid that you feel as if the woman is actually talking to you.
During a time when women were expected to smile pleasantly, bare and raise their husbands children, and always have a freshly hot meal waiting for them when they got home, this book pleasantly surprised me with being nothing as is expected of it. Instead Kerr tells frankly about how her life was, and spilled all the glass marbles stating exactly what she thought of her housewife life.
The Breakdown Lane, by Jacquelyn Mitchard:
One has to be the center of attention, one has to be the quote-unquote mean girl of high school, and at least once in their lifetime a girl gets dumped, cheated on, or refused. For those people, they turn to help for the answer to the ever evading Why me? Advice columnist Julieanne is their help and she excels at her job; now if you took a peek at her own personal life, well her accreditation would just shot down the tubes. She has, like everyone else missed the signs! 
'Oh dreadful no, not the signs!' You say.
Me personally I strongly dislike the mythical signs because honestly, no one ever-and I do mean ever literally- sees those bloody signs. And tip for today: if they say they have well their either lying through there teeth or their lying about their life through their teeth.

Anyhow, after her husband informs Julieanne that he needs 'time' to think through his life, basically he needs 'time' away from his kids and his wife. After a while when he doesn't return to the white house, three kids, dotting wife, and a dog it becomes clear that he had never intended to use the word 'time' literally but figuratively for its second meaning was 'ever', he wasn't coming back ever.
Although life is not known to take things sitting down and so a twist erupts in this novel as Julieanne becomes ill; those left-behind three kids then go out on a mission to find they're runaway dad and bring him back before its too late for Julieanne.
How To Buy a Love Of Reading, by Tanya Egan Gibson:





How incredibly intriguing this debut novel seemed to me, a young girl studying endlessly for perfect SAT scores discovers her love for reading. Filled with witty retorts, dismayed teenagers, comical situations and a pestering English teacher always pushing more books and essays onto her students shoulders.
When one day in class this same teacher addresses Carley with a question “What is your favorite book?" Carley answers back “Never met one I liked,” Oh the humanity! Right!
Any-who, her parents decide they are going to buy their daughter love for reading by hiring a novelist/writer to write a book just for Carley, one that she have to love; naturally hilarity issues and things spin wonky.
Robin Hood and His Merry Men:
Oh how I adore the classics. *Sigh* Such perfect writing, and thought-through verses. Robin Hood vastly became one of my favorites, wait for the kicker now...I have yet to read it. 
*Gasp* Quite right you are my fellow readers, I admit to only having watched just about every Robin Hood movie, series, etc., etc. and not found inspiration or intrigue to read the novel. Though you know me, give me a vintage hardbound book for fifty cents and I add it to my collection of 'to-be' wall to ceiling study library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Jane Run:

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Recommendation: Eh, it wouldn't kill you to read this.  The Intrigue: So listen, let's say you weren&...