Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)


My rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
I humbly admit that when I had first picked up this book, it was after all the Twilight/Vampire buzz - though personally Harry Potter trumps vampire - I had it in my mind that it was going to be just like Twilight a sappy romance that I adore. Seeing as how in my life romance is moot reading about other people, fictional or not, is the only substitute I seem to have. Much like everything else in my life, I turn to the books, to get my excitement and I mean the excitement where your body literally trembles with it and her heart races until you have to physically move around your bedroom or patio or backyard, wherever it is that you fellow good-readers go to enjoy an oh so lovely book. Anyway I had a mental picture in my head about how this book was going to play out, I even thought I would make it to page fifty and then close the book uninterested. That however, is not what happened.
Stephen Salvatoreis the new transfer student at Mystic Falls and with his good looks, reserved attitude, and secretive nature everyone there seems to fall under his spell, that is of course until the sexy steadfast Damon Salvatore comes to steal Stephen's fame. However, though they appear to be the normal fighting brothers underneath the service lies something no one in Mystic Falls is prepared for, will only destruction and chaos from these to dangerously handsome brothers or will it be them who saves the day.
And then filed away in her little bubble you haveElena Gilbert, who writes in a journal because she has no one to talk to. A horrible accident last year took Elena's parents away from her and left her in the hands of her aunt, but somehow Elena miraculously survived the crash leaving her with grief and guilt. The town looks down at her with pity and for the new year Elena is determined to make a change but little does she know that the change Elena is searching for so desperately just might be the death of her. Will she uncover Stephen's secret before it's too late for her to come back from it or will she dive head first into uncharted and dangerous waters to follow her heart?
This book just might have been one of the best books I have read in a long time. I have been debating about the differences and similarities between this and Twilight, if I am being frank I would say there really isn't many similarities. Yes they both are books about vampires and they do have a romance in each of them but other than that they are completely different in many, many ways. I can't quite put my finger on why but I would have to say that I personally liked The Vampire Diaries better than I did Twilight. Though for some reason I have yet to add it to my personal collection. In other news I fully recommend that you read this book, if you have yet to pick it up that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Jane Run:

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Recommendation: Eh, it wouldn't kill you to read this.  The Intrigue: So listen, let's say you weren&...