Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cut


"What happened next was...perfect,
straight line of blood bloomed
from under the blade...
Satisfied, finally. Then exhausted."
Patricia McCormick, Cut.
My rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.
I wanted to like this book. I felt it my duty to intensely fall head-over-heads in love with this book. When I first found it on goodreads I thought, this is a book I will buy and read, and re-read, and re-read until the pages are warped with waterlogged wrinkles, until the words are unlined in black ink, until I know everything about this book, it will be ruined by the time I am satisfied with placing it carefully on the holy-grail of book columns/sections in my room. This didn't happen and to say I was disappointed would be sugar-coating the truth so astronomically that it is a bland lie.
When Callie goes to the school nurse one day, her entire world shifts abruptly, so swift that she lapses into silence. Callie likes to cut, to take a blade, run it along her arms, wrists, forearm, etc. and press down just hard enough to see the blood, to leave the scar, to feel the silent scream burst. But when the nurse sees the scars, when Callie does nothing to stop her, she is sent away, away to a Rehabilitation center to work through her 'problem'. Only she doesn't speak, not once since the day. Her craving for attention grows tiresome trough the book, and her silence wanes.
The writing style itself did not draw me in, I related to Callie just fine, but I was an outsider looking through the window pane as black and white silent move uncurled around itself. When things get too difficult, too hard to handle she flees, drama and tears, blood and a relapse later Callie finally speaks. The writing style I felt also should have been more frank, if you are going to write on a subject like this do so without mercy, without shame, lay out the truth on coals and tell people. This is real, this is what happens, this is what it feels like.
This is a cutter.
The attention to detail paid by the author was thorough enough but not warranted five stars, the supporting characters could have been more built up and even Callie herself wasn't as solid as I like my main characters to be. McCormick centered the entire focus on Callie's 'problem' and how it started, progressed, climaxed into an uncontrollable addiction and finally ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Jane Run:

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Recommendation: Eh, it wouldn't kill you to read this.  The Intrigue: So listen, let's say you weren&...