Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 08 – Most Overrated Book:


Overrated! = The Twilight Saga
Now I am the first to admit that I immensely enjoyed the book, the writing style was immature but I countered that with what Meyer was writing, her point, her plot of the beginning of her Saga was simply and to the jest of it a cheesy YA love affair. I never understood why people just ripped into her, did they not ever think "Oh well maybe she wrote her novels simplistic because that was the way she wanted to write it?" Who are we to tell other people how they should write, I feel that as the volunteer job I have taken on it is my duty to make it clear that each of my blog posts, whether it be for my poetry blog or this blog that the words I write are solely my opinion. 
Where I am concerned the hate something you have to devote an immense amount of effort into keeping up with the hating. Hate is vastly overrated really. Too much energy, too much fuss. Is what I say, keep it simple, dislike things to a degree where they don't effect your daily life.
Anyhow now that my ramblings have thoroughly been put to doc. format. 
Onward with the show!
I admit I was one of those people who was swept up in the entire whirlwind of Twilight, I never stalked Rob Pattinson or waited in the rain to see the movie's opening night premiere but I did what it every night straight for like four weeks, just before I went to bed. But I feel the need to point out that I now find myself doing the same thing with Leverage - I have a secret love affair with that long haired guy who sings country music and always goes around beating people up, give me a bad boy any day of a polo shirt - and before that Seinfeld, then before that the movie Leap Year, and so on so forth. I think you get my point. 
I rather liked Twilight, of course I was stubborn and hadn't read the first book until I finished the entire series, proclaiming that I already saw the movie and therefore I had read the book. I was wrong, never see a movie and think it is the same at the novel itself, it never is. 
There are good things that came out of the Twilight Fever Epidemic, examples being: The Vampire Dairies, - love me some Damien - The Secret Circle, new Vampire/Supernatural YA novels finally burst through, and I give credit to Robert Pattinson, he was stunning in Remember Me, I mean the ending - who saw that coming?! Any-who, the books however, blew up so big that it made my admiration towards them shrivel, you know what I mean? Like when you hear a song over and over and over again on the radio and soon enough you turn it up screaming 'Let someone else have a turn!' 
That is what happened with me with Twilight, I barely touch the novels, never watch the two first movies, and haven't bothered to buy the remaining three. I don't really seem the point, the hype went up and then it deflated. Does that mean Meyer is not a good author, Hells' no! Her novel's  made me cry, laugh, squeal, swoon, and jump for joy at one point, not to mention the thrill of the ride. 
It really is a shame the hype got carried away. 

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I personally don't care for Twilight. I liked the first book, but the rest of the series was terrible. I think the hype made me believe that the books would give me so much than what I got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, though New Moon, I admit did make me cry the other the books did not catch the flame of my excitement. So to speak.

      Delete

See Jane Run:

Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Recommendation: Eh, it wouldn't kill you to read this.  The Intrigue: So listen, let's say you weren&...